My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Monday, January 02, 2006

more of the same old

Well, it's been a while and I guess the hangovers are keeping the drinking public well clear of my posts. What's the excuse for all of you teetotalers* out there? I guess I'll have to assume you're just sleeping in. During the meanwhilst, I'm up early back to class for all my diligent yet deceiful Korean students. Have you all heard of Dr. Hwang, the vet who claimed to have produced cloned human stem cells? Just exhale quickly while saying his name, and you'll have solved the pronunciation puzzle. Now try to get SEOUL to have two syllables. As you're rolling that around on your tongue, why not peruse some more of the comments I've had posted to the Globe and Mail. Shouts out to kimchipig!

*Word of the Day for Saturday April 21, 2001, Dictionary.com. I was checking my (correct!) spelling.

December 16th

In response to Joshua Albert's post number thirty-three, something vaguely coherent about history in school and post-war Japan and Germany: even those exposed to historical research can remain ignorant. German infrastructure was largely destroyed, Japanese wasn't. Both countries waged extensive wars of aggression and occupation for over half a decade. Both countries had pre-existing self-established political systems, and heavily industrialised economies. What exactly is the comparison you are making between post WWII Japan and Germany and post American-led invasion Iraq?

Matthew Baldwin, you may know things and still be wrong. WE, assuming you mean Canadians, went to war in 1914 and 1939 because WE were a significant member of something called the British Empire, which in September 1939 respected it's agreement with Poland to defend it from agression. WE did not make a decision to change Germany. Hitler's government made a decision to attack our ally. There is a difference, if you would only open your mind and free it of your partial beliefs.

The finger!

marie olinik, that's not $900.00 per person on your list, that's $900.00 for all of YOUR (one person) spending. I know, words can be confusing. I'm actually spending less this Christmas as I will be enjoying a two-week at home vacation without the cost of babysitting. As a single father, I'm trying to keep all my expenditures in the $300.00 to $400.00 range, and yes, my daughter is getting some new clothes!

December 14th

I dropped out of high school several times about twenty years ago, and never graduated. it was a waste of my time and efforts then, and is probably even more so now. I worked part time and full time as a teenager, attended university as a mature student and graduated. I am now teaching overseas at a university. Will Ontario rescind my driving privileges? Until high school is made pertinent, relevant and actually useful, students will continue to drop out, especially in Ontario.

December 10th

In South Korea. it is part of the Confucian tradition that the eldest son welcomes his parents to live in his home once he is married and established. Just last year my daughter and I spent eight months living with my mother in her home. I am wondering what the results were for adult children whose parents live with them, or is that a living arrangement which is entirely unacceptable in North America? Perhaps with the rising cost of heating oil, that might soon change. I know my mother would like to be able to afford some new clothes as after paying all of the bills for her house she has very little money left to spend on herself.

This comment refers to:

Adult children had better get a clear list of Christmas wishes from their parents this year, because it appears they have no better idea about what their parents want than a complete stranger. The study conducted at Washington University in St. Louis assessed 80 couples with children ranging in age from 29 to 62. The results show that most children know very little about their parents' habits, lifestyles, and personal preferences. (original article excerpt, thank you G and M)

December 7th

Now, if Canada would only apply a surcharge to American entertainment products being dumped in our fair land, we could recoup the 5 billion fairly quickly. I'm talking movies, music, and professional sports products here, the last of which is unfairly subsidized through the American education system.

December 6th

I'm not glad to learn that Mulroney's legacy is finally being honoured. Not only did he instigate the NAFTA, which the USA doesn't regard as binding for some reason, he also gladly ceded Canada's independent Cultural and Foreign policy to America. I think Canada must be the only developed nation whose film, music and television industry is so dominated by foreign content. Doesn't anyone remember Ronnie and Brian singing a rousing rendition of "When Irish eyes are smiling", in Montreal of all places? Last time I checked, Ireland was a foreign country as well. Just because he worked on Bay Street doesn't mean he contributed anything meaningful, lasting or worthwhile to Canada. GST? How about the metric system? Independent foreign policy (thank you, Chretien!) The Canada Council? National pensions and health care? And by the way, what has Mulroney done for anyone lately? And why is Peter C. Newman being hampered by a lawsuit over taped recordings? Don't his books usually honour the figures they document?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home