My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Monday, December 04, 2006

a gentle tap to the nostalgia nerve

I guess it's time to start posting my published comments to the Globe and Mail again. The very next comment after mine referred directly to something I mentioned. Gee, it's nice to be read!

You (gordon foster, from Daegu, South Korea, Canada) wrote: To the SONY MD owners who have posted: it seems only a true audiofile understands equipment. My MD player is in it's original packaging in storage while I work through my first 1GB Shuffle. Why? Because it was affordable and versatile, and I want my daughter to be able to enjoy it the same as I enjoyed my father's Nordmende tube-amplified stereo. I have a stack of blank discs, and now I think I'll buy a few more. It doesn't have mp3 capability, but I can use it with my SONY Walkman to record non copy-protected CDs diigitally. It also records actual sound! And it doesn't require a thousand-dollar plus computer interface to operate. And for the person wondering what to do with their turntable, unfortunately you are going to need a pre-amp for the output, but even without that you could still try recording straight to MD by upping the level on the input. My SONY turntable has a pre-amp to allow headphones to be plugged in directly, a prescient feature that was built-in already in 1982! It's really too bad SONY became involved in manufacturing computers and especially batteries, but as long as they keep on innovating and producing quality audio products I'll remain a fan. Since when has Apple had a reputation for hi-fidelity? Remember those old five-dollar portable AM radios? They're now called iPods and cost upwards of three-hundred bucks, but it's still the same idiots buying them.
Posted 01/12/06 at 3:46 PM EST | Link to Comment

Scot Affleck from Prince George, Canada writes: I remember getting my first hand held little transistor radio back in 1958. It had 7 transistors! Had it for years. Oh, to be young again.

Scot, I'm sorry I implied you were an idiot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home