My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

semicoherency for cindy

Congratulations Cindy, you are the first to have posted a comment to my blog! Today I won't be posting any pictures, but I will be posting my all time daily record of six (count 'em!) accepted comments to the Globe and Mail, all from December 21st. For all of you more visually stimulated visitors, tomorrow will be photo day.

December 21st

Why are professional athletes allowed to participate in the Olympics at all? I was quite pleased to look up in the rafters while watching a hockey game at the U of T arena last winter and discover a banner marking the Olympic victory of the Varsity Blues in the twenties of the last century. Where are they going to hang a banner for the Canadian Olympic team if it wins again? Where is the one from 2002 hanging? Perhaps Mr. Doan should not be invited because he isn't playing for a Canadian team, but racial slurs against a French referee? Since when has French been a race? And if Italy allows convicted criminals to enter, why not send them?


When does the Bin Laden trial start? Shouldn't that one be first?


I thought all New Yorkers either walked to work, hailed a cab or rode around in a limo. Public transportation is not an enshrined human right. Neither is garbage collection. Funnily enough, I am currently residing a brisk two-minute stroll from my workplace. Ho ho ho!


This seems like a fairly simple decision to free thinkers: evolution is a theory developed through scientific OBSERVATION and analytical speculation, unlike ID. This is not the issue, however. American educational priorities have always been a little skewed, and perhaps free thought needs to be protected alongside the freedom of speech. Does anyone educated in Canada understand the limitations in most public schools south of the border? Having spent my first year of high school in Texas, I have long been aware that the prevalent purpose of high school in America is anything but academic. Three of my six teachers had been hired primarily as football coaches, including the physical science instructor. I was tutoring students four years older than myself in algebra that I had mastered in middle school. Students in American high schools are not supposed to learn, period, because such a process might lead them to question many things about AMERICA, the construct.


It's a shame the Mrs. John couldn't arrange to be married in Canada last summer and had to wait until December to celebrate their nuptials. I am still curious as to the details of the courtship, including the date of their engagement. Also, as the couple has been together for a dozen years, are they not merely solemnising a pre-existing common law relationship with a civil ceremony? Such expenditures on champagne and lamb do not seem exactly fitting. Perhaps it is only the truly wealthy who are entitled to celebrate their love in such a manner. I am not questioning anyone's altruism, though. Perhaps I'm just a bit jealous. As an impecunious divorced single father I myself have no aspirations to a second marriage, let alone a wedding reception. But congratulations! I am sure the lovely couple will continue their loving relationship for quite some time to come, god willing.


And I thought grow-ops in suburban Toronto basements were a threat to the surrounding community!

The previous comment refers to:

RCMP in Langley, B.C., are holding a suspect in custody after a meth-lab scare forced an evacuation in the Vancouver suburb. Police cleared out 15 homes and three commercial buildings Tuesday when firefighters responding to a shed fire discovered a chemical drug lab. Residents were allowed to return to their homes around 10 p.m. after a hazardous materials team assessed the danger and concluded it was safe. (thank you G and M)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home