My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wish You Weren't Here

Pink Floyd: The Illustrated Discography says:

"During the Wish You Were Here sessions a fat, shaven-headed person wearing grey Terylene trousers, a nylon shirt and string vest wandered into the studio. The band ignored the visitor and kept on playing and it was the visiting Andrew King who finally recognised their guest: 'Good God, it's Syd! How did you get like that?' To which Syd replied, 'I've got a very large fridge at home and I've been eating a lot of pork chops.' The whole event was slightly un-nerving since the theme of the album was based on Syd and his subsequent madness."

Rick Wright said: "The whole album sprang from that one four-note guitar phrase of Dave's in Shine On. We heard it and went, "That's a really nice phrase." The wine came out, and that led to what I think is our best album, the most colourful, the most feelingful. Shine On was in the process of being recorded, the lyrics about Syd were written. I walked into the studio at Abbey Road, Roger was sitting, mixing at the desk, and I saw this big bald guy sitting on the couch behind. About 16 stone. And I didn't think anything of it. In those days it was quite normal for strangers to wander into our sessions. Then Roger said, You don't know who that guy is, do you? It's Syd. It was a huge shock, because I hadn't seen him for about six years. He kept standing up and brushing his teeth, putting his toothbrush away and sitting down. Then at one point he stood up and said, Right, when do I put the guitar on? And of course he didn't have a guitar with him. And we said, Sorry Syd, the guitar's all done."

5 Comments:

Blogger Saint Tuesday said...

Sounds like part of a larger sad story...but intresting

10:35 am  
Blogger Saint Tuesday said...

Looks like every one has a better blog than me ;) well I am a newbie at this

10:36 am  
Blogger Saint Tuesday said...

Thank you for your comment ...I keep pluging away and there is always art!

11:19 am  
Blogger kodeureum said...

I'm glad you took the time to check out what's been on my mind recently, Saint Tuesday. I was a big Pink Floyd fan long (a few years, at least) before my first breakdown, but I never got the whole story about Syd Barrett until now. If you click on the picture it links to the Wikipedia article about him.

As for my blog being better, you might notice how infrequently I've been posting recently. I've also had only two thousand visitors in the past seven months, most of which have been me!

9:08 pm  
Blogger Saint Tuesday said...

You know this shows how disjointed my mind can be ...I didn't realize this entry was about Sid Barret (Though it is clearly the case) until right after I posted my comment even though the whole time I was saying to my self "Wow that reminds me of Pink Floyd" I am also quiet the fan of PF.
I can't get over how much we have in common, keep up the good work. Feel free to e-mail me if you like (I have a number of folks I talk to that share this bi-polar thing with me9 augy_stone@yahoo.com ...talking with others is ten fold bettre than the doctors half the time and a good 1/4 of my friends I met I the hospital ...we are a "crazy" group of pals lol
Take care

11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home