My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Friday, January 06, 2006

discursiveness for darcy

A long time ago, when I was still yet a wee tad with a ponytail in university, I had a girlfriend for a brief while who was a dancer. Now this girlfriend had a friend named Darcy who liked to tell me things. She told me she thought I had a Buddha personality. Once she told me I should write a haiku, so I did.

except for the time
I spend with other people
I am all alone

She told me that it wasn't a haiku, really. She also told me that I was discursive. I never fully understood what she meant by that. Discursive was Word of the Day for January 10, 2002 on dictionary.com. It has several synonyms including winding, unfathomable, undecipherable, tortuous, tangled, sophisticated, snarled, sinuous, round-about, recondite, rambling, puzzling, perplexing, paradoxical, obscure, muddled, mingled, meandering, mazy, labyrinthine, knotty, knotted, jumbled, involved, intricate, interwoven, inscrutable, impenetrable, hidden, gordian, excursive, entangled, enigmatic, disturbing, disordered, daedal, cryptic, crabbed, convoluted, confused, complicated, circuitous, bewildering and abstruse. I myself prefer knotty and of course, gordian. Here are some more discursive and perhaps not so much comments from the Globe and Mail.


December 29th


Andre Thompson, twenty years old and released from prison just in time for Christmas, already working "as a chef in a nearby restaurant", carrying a gun and kicked out by his sister on Christmas Eve because his movements were being "too closely followed by police". Not closely enough, in my opinion. How many guns were fired is the issue. Collect the bullets, send them to a crime lab - even fifty-two gun murders last year is only one a week - and see if they all came from the same gun. I'm wiling to bet they did.

Doesn't anyone remember Just Desserts?


Who would have suspected it? Academic irregularities and scientific deceit in South Korea. And intelligent people consider China a research and development threat.

And my first direct response in another comment:

free blog from anonymous, United States writes: gordon foster.your comment carries a racist tone.Deceipt by unscrupulous people are not unique to these countries alone.do you recall cold fusion, enron, nortel, vioxx to name a few?there are serious competitive challenges to the canadian economy and we are in the midst of kicking out the most successful political party with respect to the economy for a bunch of communists and a party heavily influenced by a bunch of nutty right wingers. I hope canadians wake up and realize that utopia depends of a solid and competitive economy.

How's that for incoherency? Did I even mention any races? Perhaps I am anti-confucist. Maybe anonymous should have read another of my comments from the same day:

As an "economic" refugee from Canada currently residing in South Korea, I do believe that Canada is being far too lenient in accepting refugees. Not that these persons should not be allowed a safe refuge, but they should also be allowed the opportunity to integrate into the society that accepts them, and to support themselves and their families through meaningful employment. Canada does not provide this, even to its own citizens. With a university degree I still can't find employment in Toronto, my hometown, that will afford myself and my daughter the necessities: food, clothing and shelter. Housing costs far outstrip even twice the minimum wage, which is my current earning potential. If I were able to obtain employment commensurate with my qualifications, however, my earnings might double. That is why I am currently in South Korea. Canada is no safe haven either.


December 27th


Let's wake up. The teen and young adult thugs who are using guns to injure and kill do not understand, and may never grasp, that Canada is not the U.S. Shootings that occurred in the summer while I was back in Toronto for a few months seemed to have involved teenagers with Somalian names. I worked as a volunteer in a kindergarten several years ago where a third of the kids were from Somalia. Now they are teenagers. What "black" role models have they had in the Canadian media? Are they influenced by American hip-hop culture? You bet. A city that allows the production of American films such as Four Brothers should also become accustomed to gun violence and drive-by shootings. Glorify and magnify the images you want your youth to emulate, I say. Send American gun culture packing. Toronto doesn't need that industry.


December 23rd


So, who's going to take over the responsibilty of getting VIA rail back on the tracks? What is Mr. Harper's solution, all you proponents of positive change? Hey, that could be a good new name for the conservatives after they lose this election! Dibs on Proponents of Positive Change, or Post Progressive Conservative.


I am not surprised that such fabrications of research occurred in Korea. Of course anyone can fake results but there is real pressure on Koreans right now to stand out internationally, what with the world's industrial manufacturing attention focusing on China's potential. There seems to be an incessant series of government and industry projects aimed at declaring South Korea the centre of everything and anything. Even in international sporting events Korea often steps out of its league in its ambitions. Why would anyone think that South Korea could succesfully host the Winter Olympics when the only winter sport Koreans seem concerned with is short-track speed skating? Human cloning is not seen as a medical or quality of life achievement, but as an economic engine to develop and exploit. The ethics are never discussed. There were even protests involving women who were eager to donate their eggs for research when allegations were brought against Hwang Woo-Suk for coercing lab assistants into donating their ova. I hope the world wakes up and condemns South Korean efforts to exploit human reproductive technology for profit. Isn't that why human cloning is illegal in America? Or am I mistaken?



People should really make more of an effort to catch my drift sometimes, I think. Thank you for making that effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home