My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Friday, February 17, 2006

contextual analysis

Twenty-eight. Read 'em all.


February 16th

rm r from South Bend: With all sincerity, aren't you a nationally syndicated columnist and if not, then why not? Your well-stated views and observations are a breath of fresh air. (Math crisis? What crisis? I think this is important.)


'This is a topic that's so central to dialogue today. I think it's important that films raise questions, even if we don't have answers to them.' 'Good question. I don't know,' would have sufficed, Natalie. (Portman storms the Berlinale.)


February 15th

South Korea, a fully-fledged modern democracy, does the same thing to North Korea without any help from a search-engine. And America or Canada for that matter have their own restrictions about what you can access. Perhaps the Chinese frown a bit on sedition. So it goes. (Google censorship breaks hearts.)


Somebody pass the mic to Mike: "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." It's funny how nobody cares about things like this. I guess that's how Europe got wiped out by rats several hundred years ago. (Iraq declares avian flu alert in southern province. Two days later, still the only comment.)


Gary Averbach, I do concur. My paternal grandparents thrived into their mid-eighties, my maternal grandmother lived to 97, yet my maternal grandfather died at 59. Therefore I have a 1 in 4 chance of deceasing before retirement. Those are all the odds I need to continue choosing a healthy lifestyle. (When will the Boomers die? Take this test.)


'Not every day needs to be about the Prime Minister,' he said. 'What does everyone expect him to be, some kind of leader?', he might have added. (Why has Stephen Harper stayed out of sight?)


Of course the satisfied customer is from Ottawa. Paying for advertising is more than a little like paying for sex. If you have to buy it, you're got to be desperate. (Gauging 'click fraud'. There's more...)

And of course slippy first bounds no ignorance. A good product with an aware mature market does not require advertising. Car manufacturers and fast food enterprises must advertise because nobody really needs that crap. And if you insist that Toyota cars are excellent I won't disagree. They are also one of the most expensive methods of transportation, short of owning your own airplane. (People started mentioning me by name again on this one. Say my name, say my name...)

I still prefer "schaden freude". (Somebody thought 'click fraud' sounded German.)

j Mac from Canada writes: I'll have to agree with Slippy on Gordon Foster's lack of acumen. Good products and services benefit from effective advertising campaigns and methods. Advertising is simply communication with a specific goal attached, be it through radio, billboard, internet site, word of mouth,a logo, a storefront sign. By his reasoning everything that can be commodified is crap. Let's have an example of "a good product with an aware mature market" that doesn't engage in some sort of advertising (of course if he mentions the product then in effect he is advertising it).

(I did submit a response to this personal challenge but sadly it remains lost in cyberspace. I think I mentioned something about effective labeling and 'Maudite'. I guess that beer brand name is considered swearing by the language police.)


February 14th

"In the light of the current situation and given our experience last year, we wanted at all costs to avoid having Montreal again project an incoherent image internationally with the holding of various competing festivals." Just stick to an incoherent national image and you'll be alright. (New Montreal Film Festival fizzles into oblivion. This, of course, was not considered offensive.)


I'm starting to wonder why it's the women who are persevering to medal and the men who keep on floundering. And where were the Canadians in the pairs figure skating? Not even a single Canadian flag on the leaders board when the medals were awarded. (Canada wins cross-country silver. Oh, lympics!)


Regime change? The U.S. administration isn't so stupid as to attempt something like that now, is it? (Hamas assails U.S. for reportedly seeking regime change.)


I can hardly wait for the WHL season to start up again so we can all welcome back our gold-medal winners! (Canadian women bound for semis. My tongue was where?)


Who's liable for the illnesses and deaths of the numerous people who did not contract HIV through a blood transfusion? Are they going to be charged as well? Life just isn't safe. (Blood trial on verge of collapse. Go ahead, call me a radical lefty.)


February 13th

Bandwagon, chuckwagon; I don't see any difference. (Calgary magazine to reprint cartoons. I got in early at number 112.)

shawn bull from Canada writes: Hi. No that's all I have to say cause I have not had anything posted today. Sorry Globe, I will be more left leaning in my comments. (Number 124)

Hi, Shawn. Why not attempt posting on a string with zero to few comments? Works like a charm almost every time. (Number 156. The grand total of comments here was... drum roll please... 171)


If Wawa can become a character in a coproduction, why can't Toronto even get into the auditions? (From Wawa to the Berlinale. The only comment, I kid you not.)

Here's hoping Heart of Gold makes it over to South Korea. (Pink Panther strikes again. Once again, the only comment. Can I pick 'em?)


It appears that no one actually witnessed Forsyth's crash, unlike Kildow's which is described in detail. What gives? (Canadian Forsyth crashes in downhill practice. One of three.)


Not everyone's "brain troubles" begin in mid-life, but I see what the study is driving at. Yes, there must be some mechanism that makes it difficult for middle-aged people to stay tuned in to what's going on. Now if we could only fix it. Personally, I don't see this as a problem. Wisdom and other mental strengths associated with aged persons derive from contemplation. What is so important about focusing solely on the task at hand? Knowledge and experience are only beneficial when the mind can access them. Now, if our society no longer values wisdom, knowledge, experience, contemplation, considered judgements and the like, that's a completely different issue. As for an iPod; how different is it really from a portable AM radio? Those were around in the fifties. (Brain troubles begin in mid-life: study. One of two.)


This is Wonderland, good riddance. The mentally ill recurring characters often used as comic foils were despicable, and an embarassment to anyone with a shred of compassion. (Two acclaimed CBC dramas to be cancelled. The other was Da Vinci's City Hall.)

Mitchell Leitman, you really should check out Boston Legal. Now that show has some dignity. (You too, Dave.)


It might be interesting to note that the President of Korea who was in power during the massacre of civilians in the city of Kwangju on May 18th, 1980 never faced the death penalty. That massacre is an historical fact and is commemorated every year. That the South Korean president never stood trial might have something to do with the fact that tens of thousands of American troops were stationed in South Korea at the time and did nothing to prevent the mass slaying. Can anyone say double-standard loud enough? (Saddam Hussein forced to attend trial.)

Simon Fogel from T Dot, Canada writes: Just goes to show Bush never cared about freeing Iraq to begin with. If they really wanted to get rid of Saddam they would've done so years ago. He's been in captivity for over 2 years, he's obviously guilty. How many more innocent people must die before it's all worthwhile? How much more blood must be shed? Comments 1-3 said it perfectly, this war is a sham. A big fat mass grave-inducing sham that's cost 150,000 innocent people their lives. (I had comment number two. Glen Macmillan had one and three. Thank you, Simon. It's funny how none of us use pseudonyms, isn't it?)


Poor Mr. Whittington. And people thought friendly fire was an oxymoron. I guess the oxy bit is no longer required. (But wait! Someone took offense!)

Michael VanOrsdale: that an elderly man, and your vice-president at that, has to go out and shoot his own food and the biggest game he can flush out is a quail is humorous in and of itself. (Cheney shoots pal in hunting accident.)


February 11th

Not to be hateful or hurtful, but aren't Canadian demographics significantly affected by immigration? People becoming Canadian as adults may not have benefitted from the same cancer-prevention measures as other Canadians. I'd like to see a study on that. (Why U.S. reached a cancer tipping point first.)


I've discovered that a happy divorce is preferable to an unhappy marriage. My daughter is sleeping soundly as I type this. (Marital conflict beats up kids.)


February 10th

My sap runs for the twelve ancient trees, but perhaps their numbers were already up. This warming trend has got to stop, however. Speaking as a man on the hirsute side, may I just say it's getting a little uncomfortable. (It's a warm world, after all. They measured the width of tree rings, back 1200 years.)


That's all, folks!

2 Comments:

Blogger David Nicholson said...

I should check out "Boston Legal" ? Hmmmmmm....despite its obviously alluring Shatner quotient, I find myself allergic to shows produced by David E. Kelley. As for political corectness....it didn't "pass me by", I was right there watching it go by, all the while yelling "c***" at it. So there. I was thinking that it was an interesting coincidence that we both ended up heading East. True...you took it a little further, but, PEI is nothing to sneeze at. It is quite mystical in its own rather quaintly bucolic way. I'm glad that your blog has an actual dose of substance....it frees me up to hack out whatever gibberish floats around my grey matter. Maybe one day I'll suprise you with something approaching editorial elan. Breath holding is not recommended, however.

6:07 am  
Blogger kodeureum said...

There is also the James Spader factor, and that shapeshifter guy, Odorous or something, from Starch Dreck.

I too did not shy from polishing the toes of my shoes to a shine just in case little miss PC happened to flit by in a skirt.

Actually, I headed west. But what goes around comes around. Does walking Ella to school along a muddy path between rice fields and an apple orchard with mountains in the distance count as bucolic, by the way?

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home