My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

unbounded ignorance

There have been a lot of negative comments about the Leafs posted to the Globe and Mail recently, but I have chosen to take issue with this one. Bear me out, please.

Tim Johnston from windsor, Canada writes: Bleecchhh!!!!! I couldn't watch this game after the second period. The refs were unbelievable. It's as though the NHL had given them explicit instructions to make sure Toronto is not out of the playoff race too soon. The phantom penalities that were called left me incredulous. I guess in their desperation to keep this once-proud sport from falling into oblivion (which they brought about themselves by deep-sixing fighting), they need to keep their most popular teams in the playoff hunt for a few more measly weeks by calling disgraceful obstruction penalties at every turn. What should only have made me feel like I was watching an Olympic field hockey game made me feel like I was watching a pathetic WBC boxing match. The fix is in. Let's go Arena Football!!!!


Let's look back at two games played on February 28th, shall we? Toronto vs. Washington and Montreal vs. the Islanders. In each of these games excessive amounts of penalties were called. Against Washington, Toronto drew seven two-minute penalties in the third period alone yet managed to notch the only goal in the last twenty minutes of the game. Washington had two minor penalties during the same span and went on to win 5-3. Montreal defeated the Islanders by the same score, 5-3, and had only three minor penalties in the third period compared to six for New York. New York scored three goals in their attempt at a comeback while Montreal only managed to score two in the last period of play. Tim Johnston, stick with Arena Football and leave hockey to the real fans.

the leafs



les habs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home