My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

michals for mina

First of all, I'd like to thank Mina for directing me to this artist's photography. His name is Duane Michals and I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of him before. This photo is the third in a sequence of five photos entitled Grandpa goes to heaven.
You can view the entire sequence at this site:

http://www.maxestrella.com/artistas/arco2004/duane.htm

If you follow through by clicking on an image you will have to scroll down to find information, in Spanish I believe, about these photos. Yes I agree, Mina, they are very theatrical but I don't know if they are a good source for a set design.



This is an architect's rendition of the new theatre currently under construction as part of The Accolade Project at my alma mater. A rather pretentious name for some new buildings at a rather pretentious university, York. The one in Toronto, Canada, that is. It looks like it will be a proscenium theatre with all the glamour of a black box. This gives a nice view from upstage right of the audience configuration, though.


And seeing as we're looking at audiences, here I am in the audience at Buddies in Bad Times from my previous post.


I just remembered a mural project that I applied for while I was studying at York. There was money being offered for the creation of a mural which would find a permanent home in a building on campus. I proposed a large group portrait of then current theatre students assembled as an audience and mounted on an approximation of a lighting grid. Needless to say, the geniuses at York didn't go for it. They thought I couldn't accomplish it for a thousand dollars. Their loss.


I'm listening to the Leafs playing the Flames right now on nhl.com radio and Detroit is at Nashville on AFN television, so I apologize if this post seems a little curt. There'll be more tomorrow. And Mina, I think I said your new boots looked nice but I really meant to say that they are very elegant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home