My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

thanks for teresa

I currently have eight comments accepted and posted to the Globe and Mail website for today and I'm waiting on number nine. I recently recovered my first accepted comment and it turns out to be about hockey, of course.


October 7th, 2005

Instead of allowing only shootouts to exhibit the "great hockey plays" of individual players (how often in a real game does a centre end up with a one on one breakaway, anyways?), why not get rid of the salary cap altogether and just have general managers sit around every September like any average Canadian and draft a fantasy team.  No payroll, so they can wager all their money in the pool, and even win the Stanley Cup, currently being "defended" by the Tampa Bay Lightening (of the tax burden). Now it's only a question of when and where the players would actually play "great hockey".  Perhaps a traveling skills exhibition similar to the one put on by the great wrestling associations, accompanied by loud music and fireworks-enhanced entrances, replete with all the locker-room pestering.  It could be televised nightly from each city on pay-per-view.  Then the hockey traditionalists would have no difficulty deciding which game to watch.  Me, I'm more of a purist.  I cheer for my home team.  At least I know the Senators still won't get past the Leafs in the playoffs.



As you are probably aware I am currently residing in South Korea. When I first moved here nigh on a full decade ago I considered acquiring some ice skates as I imagined perfect ice conditions on at least a few of the multitudinous rice paddies. As it turns out, the paddies are drained in winter and any water that might collect would only freeze into small fractured sheets due to the ricestalk stubble left in the ground to be plowed under in spring. There are actually no free public ice rinks, at least not in Daegu. Another reason I enjoyed being in Toronto last year. I especially recommend the rink at Dufferin Grove park with it's woodstove-warmed clubhouse and wholesome natural food snacks. Thanks Teresa for inviting Ella and I to enjoy skating there with you, Fien and Marcus. I'm sorry I don't have any digital photos to post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home