My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ella's gallery

When I was in Toronto last year I managed to visit a few galleries but my favourite was Park Gallery, across from the mental health centre and just a few doors along from a very cozy knitting shop. It's a storefront gallery in one of those old stores with wood-framed display windows and doors set back from the sidewalk. It's run by Julia Burton and can be found at 1036 Queen St. West (one block west of Ossington).



Now Julia is the main squeeze of one Steve Marsh, a theatre sound guy who has a thing about technology. I was chatting with him over a Lucky Lager at the show opening and happened to mention a pretty nifty new Sony-Ericsson cell phone I had read about in a magazine. He pulled something from his shirt pocket and asked "Do you mean this one?" Indeed it was the very shiny and sleek technological marvel I had just been referring to.

Me, I have to make do with six year old laptops and prepaid Bell cell phones from BestBuy. So now my idea for a show at Julia's gallery is paper cutout drawings of all the consumer goods I'd like to own but simply can't afford, inspired by Ella's cutouts of all the toys she'd like to have. I just noticed by the way that if you take the ELLA out of GALLERY all you've got left is GRY, or the dirt under your fingernails. Here's a good site in case you'd like to know where you are. Or you could just click here for a blonde joke.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Nicholson said...

Very nice, old chum. I wish that I had the temerity or tenacity to post on a daily basis....one day I'll grow up into a real nerd / geek . I'm starting a Google group to bitch about the current state of film-making. You'll be duly notified.

Smoked meat on poutine? Hot damn, y'all....if they could batter the whole pile and then deep-fry it...I'd have a new favourite delicacy / suicide option. Nothing says "Death w/ Dignity" like a complete and utter cholesterol arterial cluster-fuck!

6:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home