My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Friday, January 13, 2006

if when I am 93 a curmudgeon I should be...

...I will retract this first comment.

Today's comments are interspersed with some more photos of trees taken in Andong, Korea by a tourist from Hong Kong. They probably didn't use a polaroid camera.


January 5th, 2006


As a fellow poet, I must say that I have not been greatly influenced by the man. Perhaps I need to read more of his works, but there is something so typically Canadian about Irving Layton that leaves me, how shall I put it, cold. Perhaps if I somehow have the good fortune to become enshrined by the Canadian academic and broadcasting establishments, I too could marry five times and father four children by the age of 93. I am wondering however why Mr. Layton was not nominated again for the Nobel prize in the succeeding twenty-four years. Is this somehow attributable to his condition as an Alzheimer's sufferer? My grandmother was not accurately diagnosed with that disease until after her passing at age 83, so I do at least congratulate Mr. Layton on his longevity, if not his literary pertinence. Now if only Mr. Cohen could be nominated for gravelly voiced singer-songwritng. I consider myself a fan and if any Canadian could represent us well at the Nobels, he could.


It's unfortunate that anyone experiences ill health, yet I do find Mr. Sharon's condition somewhat bizarre. There was a news report recently that his doctor had suggested he lose weight. Perhaps that could have been attempted some time ago. As for Israeli politics, I'll leave well enough alone.




January 4th



Perhaps I'll move to Alberta to collect some extra cash, or do you have to be born there or something?


For me, if the Canadian juniors win their next game it will be the real Olympic gold medal. I'm sick of millionaires scrambling for more attention and prestige at the expense of amateur athletes. Is there little wonder that the Canadian summer Olympic program is in disarray? We need a professional rowing league, I guess.


The Rolling Stones themselves can't be over fifty, can they? It's still 1983, isn't it, the last time anybody really cared about the Superbowl halftime show? Oh no, wait, this is Superbowl XL. They should have stopped at XXL, really. Who wants to watch skinny football players?


My family's sixteen year old schnauzer died peacefully in his sleep, about thirteen years ago. The family hasn't been so close since. For all the families who are finding it a little difficult to care for that Christmas puppy, have a heart and make the effort. Love emanates from the family dog along with all the odours and dander.




January 3rd

Well, how about another couple of pennies. I will actually care more about Canadian politics when it moves beyond the ancient
tory-liberal polarisation. And if Quebec ever sees fit to put its skates back on and come back to play on the big public rink instead of the crappy little one in their own backyard, the game will be so much more fun. Don't Canadians realise how petty their little squabbles seem to the rest of the world? I'm from Alberta, Martin's a crook. I'm from Ontario, Harper's a hick. I'm from Quebec, anglos are evil. I'm from Canada, you idiots. I speak English and French, I want a good job and my personal freedoms. Let's elect someone who respects those values. And vote for the candidate in your own riding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home