My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hello, call me Gord.

Monday, January 16, 2006

meet the next prime minister of canada

I was watching the San Jose Sharks play the Senators in Ottawa on American Forces Network television Saturday morning. I wasn't really paying attention to the game as it had been taped previously. I checked the play-by-play record on espn.com and just watched the breakaway goal in the second period by Marleau on Hasek. I was paying attention however when the Sharks' commentator explained who Don Cherry was. He mentioned the current Canadian election and claimed that if Cherry was running for Prime Minister he would win hands-down, or some such nonsense. It just goes to show how even if Americans happen to be paying attention they can still remain completely ignorant.


For those of you not in the know, including many Canadians I'm afraid, the only time a politician can run for Prime Minister is when the party which has formed the government due to a majority or the largest representation in the House of Commons holds a leadership convention, as occurred when Paul Martin replaced the retiring Jean Chretien a few years back. Canadians never elect a Prime Minister, but you already knew that didn't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home